Writer Under Construction

Hello, Seekerville. Thank you so much for hosting me today. From Georgia, I’ve brought my husband’s peach muffins and English Breakfast tea. 


Thirteen years ago, my husband and I bought a fixer-upper. Since then, we’ve always been saving for a different house-related project. Sometimes there’s an emergency, like the time our downstairs bathroom ceiling caved in, and we’ve had to reprioritize the project list. For years, I’ve dreamt about renovating our master bathroom. It’s been the project that usually gets relegated to the bottom of the list. However, the pink walls and pinker tile from the previous owner are at the point where this renovation is now at the top of the list. 

When I thought about this project, I discovered five of the steps mirror the list for a beginning writer. 

Research. When you renovate an area of your house, you research your dream vision for that space. My husband and I have been looking at tile colors, countertop surfaces, and cabinet designs.

 When you decide to write, you first narrow the focus of what you want to write. I’ve always loved reading cozy mysteries and romances. My grandmother would bring home stacks of Harlequins, and I’d devour them in between my visits to St. Mary Mead or Sleepyside-on-Hudson (Miss Marple and Trixie Belden, respectively). However, I’ve always plotted out romances in my head. So when I decided to write, I knew I wanted to write tales of happily ever after rather than mysteries. Once you decide on the genre, there’s research for your novel’s setting, characters’ professions, and other questions that pop up while you’re writing.

Plan a Budget. My husband and I developed a case of sticker shock at the first business we consulted about renovating our bathroom. Since that firm is not in our budget, we will interview other service providers until we find something that will fit. 

When I decided I wanted to pursue writing as my profession, I discovered Romance Writers of America and Georgia Romance Writers. Both of these organizations sponsor fabulous conferences, which allow me a chance to network, learn about craft, and pitch to editors. Thanks to RWA and GRW, I learned about business plans. A written business plan is an underutilized but essential part of a writer’s toolbox. One aspect of mine is creating and sticking to a reasonable budget. The plan covers everything from upfront investments to ongoing items. Initially, I purchased a laptop with Microsoft Word. I also downloaded some free apps such as Pomodoro Timer. I try to save a certain amount per month for dues, program and conference fees, contest fees, and other writing expenses. 

Form Your Team. Once you research what is within your reach and figure out how much you have to spend, you can build a team to make the renovation a reality. My husband and I are currently interviewing bathroom designers and contractors. 



Even though the act of writing itself is solitary, it helps to have a team. My husband is my biggest supporter. He has said he knew he was married to a writer before I acknowledged I was a writer. My critique partner, Jeanine, joined GRW at the same time I did. We’ve supported each other along our quest to get off unpubbed island. She also introduced me to Seekerville after she attended the RWA 2013 workshop several of the Seekers presented. I have learned so much from this blog, and I value the relationships I’ve developed with both Seekers and Villagers. My team also includes members of my local chapter, GRW. My first critique came from a wonderful author, who took her time explaining what head-hopping is and why it can distance your reader from deep POV. More than that, this author led me to an important realization. If I want this to be my career, it’s up to me to learn about the industry, the meaning of certain terms and how to take my craft seriously. Since then, I’ve also added beta readers and accountability partners to my team. I truly appreciate and cherish everyone who takes her time to contribute on my writing journey.

Time for Renovating. Once the research, the budget, and the team comes together, it’s time for the actual renovation. Even though we’re not at this point with our bathroom, my husband and I have lived through furnace replacement, window installation, and siding replacement.

 So too comes a time when a writer has finished with preliminary preparations, and it’s time to sit in the chair and write. When our siding was replaced, there were times I wanted to pull out my hair at the sheer noise and messiness involved. Most writers experience a similar day to this, once in a blue moon. The messiness of the first draft sneaks up on them or there’s a day during plotting where nothing seems to come together. Just as the noise would subside and peace would reign again during the siding renovation, so too do writers get over those days. Prayer and friends go a long way. 

Enjoy the Finished Product and Then Dream About Your Next Project. Someday my husband and I will have a renovated bathroom. There will be a week where we just appreciate what we have before we figure out how much we need to save for our kitchen remodel. 


After I actually write and edit my book, I take a minute to appreciate the journey. Since I’ve started writing and tell people I’m a writer, I hear one of two comments or questions. The first is “where can I buy your book?” The other one is “I’ve always wanted to write a book.” It takes time and dedication to sit down every day and finish a novel. So writers, when you type “The End” at the end of a revised version of your work, take time to celebrate. You did it. You accomplished something many want to do, but few actually finish. Once you celebrate, get back on that horse and start your next project.

Although much of this post was rather general, I’m glad to answer questions about business plans or how to find a support group if you live multiple hours away from a local writing chapter. (By the way, you’ve found Seekerville. That’s a great start for your writing journey.) 

For readers, can you apply any of these steps to reading (for instance, creating a budget for all the great books out there)? 
For writers, what is the most challenging part for you (researching, planning a budget, creating a team, writing, or giving yourself time to appreciate what you’ve done before you move on to your next project)?  If you already have a team in place, tell us about that support team.
 Leave a comment today and Tanya will provide a $15.00 Amazon gift card to one randomly picked commenter. Winner announced in the Weekend Edition.



Tanya Agler is a write-at-home mom who lives in Georgia with her husband, four kids, one Basset Hound (Vera), and one rabbit (Gandalf). She writes a mixture of inspirational category and sweet contemporary Southern front porch romances. A member of Romance Writers of America and ACFW, she is the current Vice President of Programs for Georgia Romance Writers.

When she’s not writing, chauffeuring her children or folding laundry, Tanya loves classic movies (preferably black and white or anything with Cary Grant) and enjoying a cup of tea alongside a good book.

Website:

Facebook:
Twitter:





اPopularPosts